Basic Breakfast Porridge: Beauty in Simplicity
Okay, so talk about a “blank slate” food! This is it.
When you properly soak, cook and serve traditional porridge, you’ve created a nutritious, easily-digested base for a multitude of flavor combinations that will please anyone.
For example, the tried and true standard in our home is a combo of honey, butter, and raw milk.
Want a more savory option with just a hint of sweetness? Try a simple combo of butter or cream with a pinch of salt.
Remember that increasing the fat content for the morning meal keeps you satisfied, and will carry you through the morning without feeling hungry!
Here are some options to increase healthy fats in a meal:
- Organic nut butter (peanut or almond)
- Almonds, pecans or walnuts
- Coconut oil
And here are some flavorings you can play with!
- Sprinkle on cinnamon, cloves, ginger and/or allspice
- Add dried raisins, cranberries, cherries
- Add fresh diced fruit: apples, bananas, raspberries, blueberries
- Change your sweetener! Honey, maple syrup, sucanat, brown sugar, molasses, and coconut sugar are some options to try
So, how many combinations of breakfast porridge can be made from above ingredients?
You don’t have to be a mathematician to figure out that it is at least enough for a different breakfast each day of the week.
How easy is that? Whoever said we have to make a different breakfast everyday? Real food is fun. Real food is easy.
And it’s even easier if you pre-soak a week’s worth of oatmeal and keep it refrigerated. It’s ready and waiting for you each morning to warm, serve, and top, as desired.
Think such simplicity will be boring? Think again.
During a particularly busy year, my twenty-something daughter decided she would eat porridge every morning. Period.
She ate it daily, topping it with coconut oil, butter, cinnamon, a spoonful of peanut butter, and – the most important part – a healthy pinch of salt, which she swears brings out all the flavor.
She didn’t get bored. In fact, it became a cherished ritual – a bit of stability she could look forward to every morning.
It was something she didn’t have to think about, which didn’t cause stress. She loved it.
Try it yourself. Simple, real foods can be liberating.
Basic Breakfast Porridge
1 cup oats, rolled or cracked
1 cup warm filtered water, plus 2 TBS whey, yogurt, kefir, or buttermilk
½ tsp. Sea salt
1 cup filtered water
1 TBS flax seeds (optional)
- Mix oats with warm water mixture, cover, and leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours and as long as 24 hours.
- Bring an additional 1 cup of water to a boil with sea salt.
- Add soaked oats, reduce heat, cover, and simmer several minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind optional flax seeds in a mini-grinder.
- Remove oats from eat, stir in seeds, and let stand for a few minutes.
- Serve with your chosen toppings. Our favorites are butter, honey, and raw milk.
(Make it easy on yourself: soak a week’s worth at one time in a half-gallon, glass container. Then keep it in your refrigerator and use as needed.)
Ready for more?
Sign up below to receive a FREE PDF version of our 5 Cheery Oats Breakfast e-Book!